Calendar of Upcoming Virtual Meetings in November/December 2021
- First Monday: "Stamped From the Beginning" | Book Study | Kathleen O'Hanlon & Joyce Anders
Zoom Link: 7 pm-8:30 December 8, 2021 (first Monday of the month)
- Tuesdays: | "On Guard" | Tuesday Adult Education Class | 7:00 pm Central Time | Tim VanNasdale
- Thursdays: New "pop up" Advent Study | 10 am Thursdays on December 2, 9, 16, and 23. The Advent Study is based on the book, "Advent in Narnia: Reflections for the Season" by Heidi Haverkamp. It is via Zoom for one hour starting at 10:00 a.m. on Thursdays, December 2, 9, 16 and 23. Pastor Elvery will be the convener of the four meetings. Link: Join Advent Study Meeting ID: 830 0277 5884 Passcode: 413973
If you are interested in participating in this book study, please click on the blue link above or let us know through email: the church office or phone: 708-798-0490 so we can include you in the weekly email notification with the Zoom link.
- Sundays: | SundayWorship Service We are now worshiping only in the church building at 11 am on Sunday morning,
The Twenty Fourth Sunday after Pentecost (11/7/21), is entitled, "It's a Matter of Perspective", 17929 Gottschalk Avenue, Homewood IL, Pastor Dudley Elvery.
- Live Streaming Service can be found on the "Worship Page" | Post Sunday Virtual Worship Meet-up is continuing on Zoom 12 noon. - 2 p.m. Sunday
- Healing & Wholeness Service date is: TBD We offer a Healing & Wholeness Service online Access the service at 7:00 p.m. or at any time that day or in the following days. This service is a time of reflection, prayer, and meditation. This service can help us to experience anew God’s healing, peace-giving grace or refuel us for becoming agents of healing and reconciliation. Taking time for this mimics a pattern for Jesus and his disciples. They would be out in the thick of a clamoring multitude and then retreat to a quiet place to reconnect, recharge, and clarify their mission. Our quiet place awaits us in this service online. (Watch for an announcement for maybe private prayer time on Zoom after this service.) | Please email sarmist@aol for prayer needs request
Looking forward | scripture readings for sunday, December 5 will be Malachi 3:1-4 and Luke 3:1-6.
Malachi 3:1-4 ||| Common English Bible
Look, I am sending my messenger who will clear the path before me; suddenly the Lord whom you are seeking will come to his temple. The messenger of the covenant in whom you take delight is coming, says the Lord of heavenly forces. 2 Who can endure the day of his coming? Who can withstand his appearance? He is like the refiner’s fire or the cleaner’s soap. 3 He will sit as a refiner and a purifier of silver. He will purify the Levites and refine them like gold and silver. They will belong to the Lord,
presenting a righteous offering. 4 The offering of Judah and Jerusalem will be pleasing to the Lord as in ancient days and in former years.
Luke 3:1-6 ||| Common English Bible
In the fifteenth year of the rule of the emperor Tiberius—when Pontius Pilate was governor over Judea and Herod was ruler[a] over Galilee, his brother Philip was ruler[b] over Ituraea and Trachonitis, and Lysanias was ruler[c] over Abilene, 2 during the high priesthood of Annas and Caiaphas—God’s word came to John son of Zechariah in the wilderness. 3 John went throughout the region of the Jordan River, calling for people to be baptized to show that they were changing their hearts and lives and wanted God to forgive their sins. 4 This is just as it was written in the scroll of the words of Isaiah the prophet, A voice crying out in the wilderness: “Prepare the way for the Lord; make his paths straight. 5 Every valley will be filled, and every mountain and hill will be leveled. The crooked will be made straight and the rough places made smooth. 6 All humanity will see God’s salvation.”[d]