Membership - First Presbyterian Church of Homewood
Blest be the tie that binds our hearts in Christian love...
While you do not need to be a member to participate in the life of our church, we certainly welcome you to join our church. Visitors interested in church membership usually meet with the pastor for an "Inquirers Class." This gives opportunity for us to get to know each other better. We'll talk about Presbyterian beliefs, worship, stewardship, and occasions for growing and serving in Jesus' name. When you indicate a desire to join the church, the Session (church board) meets with you to officially receive you into membership. ---Then we celebrate in worship and at Heavenly Perks following the service!
Visitors can join in a variety of ways:
- Letter of Transfer - If you are a member of another church, you can request that church to send a "letter of transfer" to our church.
- Reaffirmation of Faith - Perhaps you have not been a member of a church in a long time. This would be the avenue for you to reaffirm your commitment to Jesus Christ and desire to connect with a congregation.
- Profession of Faith - This is used when you have been baptized but never confirmed or formally joined a church before.
- By Baptism and Profession of Faith - This is for if you have never been baptized. Presbyterians recognize baptisms from other Christian denominations, so there is no need to be "re-baptized."
- Affiliate Membership - This special category is for those who wish to align themselves with two different churches. This is often used for those who move out of the area for a short period of time, such as the winter months for retirees or the academic year for college students. It is a way of staying active in both churches that hold meaning in your life.
Regardless of the specific way you join, the four membership questions are exactly the same:
Trusting in the gracious mercy of God, do you turn from the ways of sin and renounce evil and its power in the world?
Do you turn to Jesus Christ and accept him as your Lord and Savior, trusting in his grace and love?
Will you be Christ's faithful disciple, obeying his Word and showing his love?
Will you be a faithful member of this congregation, share in its worship and ministry through your prayers and gifts?